The Jackson Daily News traces its origins to a post–Civil War merger of the Clarion, based in Meridian, and the Standard, based in Jackson. Four men displaced by the merger founded the Jackson Evening Post in 1882. Frederick Sullens acquired the paper in 1907 and renamed it the Jackson Daily News. Sullens, who was born in 1877, was a colorful but antagonistic editor. In 1940 he challenged gubernatorial candidate Paul B. Johnson to a duel and ended up in a fight with the judge in the lobby of the Walthall Hotel. He was also a staunch segregationist whose front-page editorial the day after the 1954 US Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education ruling forcefully denounced the decision.
In 1937 the Jackson Clarion-Ledger and Jackson Daily News incorporated under a charter issued to Mississippi Publishers Corporation for the purpose of selling joint advertising. The arrangement required advertisers to purchase ads in both publications.
In 1954 the Hederman family bought the Jackson Daily News from Sullens for about five hundred thousand dollars after a court battle between the two newspaper owners over the Hedermans’ purchase of Daily News stock. The Hederman family consolidated the two newspaper plants, and Sullens remained editor of the Daily News until his death in 1957. At the time of the sale the Daily News had a circulation of 41,361, while the Clarion-Ledger’s circulation was 47,396.
The Gannett chain purchased the Jackson Daily News, Jackson Clarion-Ledger, Hattiesburg American, and six weeklies on 1 April 1982 for $110 million. The Daily News had a circulation of 40,147 at the time of the sale. In 1989 Gannett consolidated the two papers, eliminating the Daily News.
- Kathy Lally, Baltimore Sun Journal (5 January 1997)
- Gene Roberts and Hank Klibanoff, The Race Beat (2006)
- Time (13 May 1940, 18 January 1943, 8 November 1954)